To connect Kaptivo to a meeting room system such as a Zoom Room, you will need a Kaptivo, KaptivoCast, and HDMI to USB dongle.
Below is a setup diagram showing the overall design and a set of quick steps to get you up and running fast.
Before You Start - get the latest firmware onto your computer
- Download latest Kaptivo camera firmware here so you can upgrade the unit
- Download latest Kaptivocast firmware here so you can upgrade the unit
Next - Get the Kaptivo camera unit working
- Get the Kaptivo camera and control pad physically installed.
- Go to www.kaptivo.com/setup click ‘setup over wi-fi’ – follow wi-fi setup directions.
I am suggesting doing the initial setup over wifi because if you plug it into the network at this point, it’ll start downloading firmware and that could block a manual firmware upgrade...
- While in the admin web interface do a few things
- Camera Tab - Calibrate the camera by selecting corners – press save on top-right
- Network Tab - Select Wired ethernet (note the IP Address if you plan on using self-hosted)
- Device Tab - Name the unit – press save on top-right
- Device Tab - Select Cloud or Self-hosted – prefer cloud given a choice - don’t reboot yet.
- Device Tab - Update the firmware – unit may reboot
- Click ‘leave setup’ on top right
4. Switch back to your regular network connection and go to https://kaptivo.live (or the IP Address if self-hosted) and confirm the Kaptivo is working as expected.
Last get the Kaptivocast HDMI accessory setup
- Physically place the Kaptivocast where it’s going to live, and plug in HDMI-USB converter between the Kaptivocast and your Zoom Room Computer, before powering on (POE or AC).
- Once it is on the network, you should see the configuration screens on the HDMI interface.
- Connect to the web interface at the IP Address indicated on the display.
- Name the Kaptivocast
- Update the firmware -- if the update fails, it might be because its downloading it over-the-air and old firmware just fails, instead of telling you It failed because there was a pending OTA firmware load... try the reboot button, see if it upgraded.
- Click ‘link’ button to associate kaptivocast to the camera (enter kaptivo-id or IP addr if self hosted)
The device will do a cross-auth with camera unit for permission to associate- be sure to confirm the connection.
Testing it works
You may need to restart the Zoom Room application on the room computer for it to recognize the new camera,
You may need to restart the Zoom Room app on your room controller so that it checks in with the room computer to see the new device.
The Kaptivo image may appear mirrored. Click on "Camera Control" button, at the bottom-left
click "Switch Camera" to make Kaptivo controls active, then toggle on "Use mirror effect for my video" on the bottom-right.
To share the Kaptivo camera when in a Zoom meeting
press Share Content > Choose the Camera tab > Select the Kaptivo Whiteboard option.
Any problems, Need more help?