If you are encountering problems setting up your KaptivoCast, please follow the steps below. If any of the steps fail, please contact support with a description of where it failed along with information about your KaptivoCast including:
- Kaptivo ID found on the base of the Kaptivo camera arm (six letter code)
- Firmware running on the Kaptivo camera (visible in the admin web interface)
- Serial number of the KaptivoCast (found on the label)
- Description of the connection method between the Kaptivo and the KaptivoCast (e.g. point to point or via network)
Start with just power and HDMI connected to the KaptivoCast, but no network plugged in (*unless you are using POE, then of course you've got power, but make sure HDMI is connected first).
1. BOOT SCREEN. This is the first screen you should see on your HDMI monitor:
If you do not see the boot screen, please try connecting the Kaptivocast directly to a 1080p monitor (no HDMI to USB adapter involved), and ensure that the monitor is powered on before applying power to Kaptivocast unit. Ensure that the HDMI display is set to default to 1080p, not 4K if possible.
If you still do not see an image on screen verify the two LEDs on the side of the unit next two the reset hole. Both LEDs should be on and steady.
Red power LED does not light means the power is not properly connected.
A blinking red power LED indicates problems with the power supply.
Check your connections, cable, and power supply. Use a different power supply.
Do not connect both POE and the AC Power adapter.
Red power LED is on, Green LED is not, nothing on display.
Try with no cables connected except the USB power lead. If that helps, plug in cables one at a time to identify which is interfering with boot.
Confirm the USB cable is properly seated in the power slot. The red power LED does not necessarily mean it is fully connected, the voltage could be too low, ensure you are using the provided AC power adapter, try a different power supply or confirm POE is providing at least 7V.
Red power LED is on, Green LED blinks in a specific pattern, nothing on display.
Green LED could flash 1 to 8 times to indicating a specific fault detected. Open a support ticket for replacement unit, and include number of flashes in report.
Red power LED is on, green LED is on, nothing on display
- First make sure the display is powered on and switched to the right input before booting.
- Verify HDMI cable connectivity, display on the proper input and set to 1080p.
- Try a different HDMI cable or different display device.
- Try pressing the Factory Restore button (by inserting a pen into the hole while power is on) and holding it pressed for a few seconds until the unit restarts.
- Finally, unplug and replug power adapter or POE seven times (yes, seven, odd I know), waiting 5-10s between each on/off cycle.
- If no change has occurred, still no boot screen, after all of these steps, open a support ticket for replacement unit,
2. CONNECT SCREEN - After 5-10 seconds, you should then see the Connect KaptivoCast screen:
At this point, connect the KaptivoCast into your network with an ethernet cable.
If you have connected your Kaptivocast directly via point to point cable to the Kaptivo control pad (top deployment option) and the Kaptivo Camera is powered, but this connect screen remains visible, it is likely because the firmware of the Kaptivo is to old to recognize the Kaptivocast.
Ensure that you have updated your Kaptivo camera's firmware to the latest release.
NOTE: You cannot connect the Kaptivocast via a direct point-to-point cable to the Kaptivo if your Kaptivo camera is connected to your wi-fi network. The Kaptivo camera can only have one network connection active at a time. For a direct configuration, ensure your cameras network connection is set to 'Ethernet'.
3. CONFIGURE SCREEN - When a network connection is detected, the screen should change to the following screen.
If you are connected point-to-point the Kaptivocast will automatically pair with the camera and you will not see this screen.
Note: it may take up to 1 minute for this screen to appear. If this screen does not appear, note down what does appear.
If there is no DHCP on the network, the Kaptivocast should self-assign an IP Address of 169.254.102.2
4. ADMIN WEB ACCESS. When you go to the HTTP://IP-ADDR on the Configure KaptivoCast screen, you should see the user/pass prompt (admin/admin) and the admin web interface where you can name the cast.
If you do not get the IP address on-screen in step-3, try a factory reset on the kaptivocast, or try getting IP from the DHCP server or network switch.
Once connected, give your Kaptivocast a friendly name.
5. ADMIN WEB PAIRING: The last step is to link the KaptivoCast to specific Kaptivo camera units. You do this by inputting the IP Address or KaptivoID if it is cloud connected.
Kaptivo cameras and Kaptivocast use the SSDP protocol to discover each other, so your Kaptivo camera should appear in the Discovered Kaptivo’s list.
(a) If it doesn't appear until after a long pause, please note the length of the pause.
(b) Note too if the list is “stable” or do Kaptivo’s appear and disappear.
(c) If the Kaptivo does not appear, try adding it manually using its IP address
(d) if the Kaptivo is able to be paired, manually by IP Address, but does *not* appear as a linked device after the pairing, you likely have an issue with bi-directional network connectivity, and the Kaptivo cannot reach the KaptivoCast on the local network. Contact your IT Network team, verify IP Addresses and VLAN settings for both devices, especially with respect for the cameras IP sending data to the kaptivocast.
6: SETUP COMPLETE, USAGE ISSUE: the setup is complete at this point.
When you press the blue Control Pad button on the Kaptivo, to start the live view, the board should appear on your screen. When you press the blue Control Pad button on the Kaptivo to stop the live view, the session should stop showing.
If this behavior is not what you see, please note what does occur and report back when contacting support.